SACRAMENTO DUI ATTORNEY
What You Should Do if Pulled Over for DUI
We’ve all done it before – got into the car without being 100% sure our BAC was under .08. The difference this time is that you’ve been pulled over!
You are confident in your driving abilities and that you are under the legal limit, but there is still that question in the back of your mind asking if you are going to be OK.
A lot of people don’t know, but you can be charged with DUI even if your BAC is under .08 !
What to Do
Our Sacramento DUI attorney has taken the time to provide you with the below instructions. Always adhere to these steps if you have been pulled over and you have alcohol in your system – they will limit your chances of being arrested, could result in a lesser charge if you are taken to jail, and could even help get your case thrown out!
- Calmly pull over without making any sudden movements – The officer will be highly critical of your every move and any less than perfect driving while will be counted against you
- Be polite – The officer is investigating your actions at all times – be polite while he speaks with you, it’s in your best interest
- You Have the Right to Refuse the field sobriety test (“FST”) and the hand held breathalyzer test – The FST is highly subjective and it’s at the officer’s full discretion whether you pass or fail. Handheld breathalyzer tests are notoriously unreliable and can overstate the amount of alcohol in your system
- Request and take a chemical test at the police station – Accept the fact you are going to jail and request a chemical test at the station – this is the most reliable test and limits the amount of evidence the arresting officer can accumulate against you
- Following your release, write down everything you can remember:
- Where you were and what you were doing prior to your arrest
- How much you had to drink
- Amount of time that elapsed before you drove
- How the officer treated you and any questions/instructions given to you
- Your statements to the officer
- Location of and reason for the traffic stop
- When you took your chemical test and the amount of time since your last drink
- Contact a Sacramento DUI attorney – Once you are released and have completed the above instructions, it is imperative that you contact an experienced Sacramento DUI attorney so they can begin to build a defense.
Have You Been Arrested for DUI in Sacramento?
If you have been arrested for DUI, do your best to complete step 5 above, and don’t worry if you can’t remember everything. The more information, the better, but we have been helping individual’s charged with DUI in Sacramento for years and have the necessary experience to build a solid defense regardless of the circumstances. Contact our Sacramento DUI attorney in today for a free consultation!
Speak with a Sacramento DUI Attorney Today
Our criminal defense lawyers understand the life altering affects of a criminal conviction. You can trust our Sacramento criminal defense lawyer to provide sound legal advice and help with the court procedures.
Call (916) 441-4888 for a free criminal defense consultation.
We appear in state and federal courts in the Sacramento and Davis communities as well as throughout Placer and San Joaquin counties.