Terrorist & Criminal Threats
Arrested & charged with a crime? Call us for FREE consultation.
SACRAMENTO CRIMINAL DEFENSE
In order for someone to be convicted of terrorist threats the prosecution has to prove several elements beyond a reasonable doubt. These elements are laid out in the in the California criminal jury instructions.
- First, the government must prove that the accused willfully threatened to kill of cause great bodily injury to the named victim.
- Second, they must prove that it was the accused made the threat to the named victim.
- Next, it must be proven that the accused intended the statement be understood as a threat and that it be communicated to the named victim. The threat must also be clear, immediate, unconditional, and specific, communicating a serious intention and the immediate possibility that the threat would be carried out.
- Next, the threat must have actually caused the named victim to be in sustained fear of his or her safety or the safety of immediate family.
- Lastly, the fear must have been reasonable given the circumstances.
This statute is a wobbler that may be filed as a misdemeanor instead of being charged as a felony. The original filing decision lies with the prosecution. If the threats charge is filed as a felony, the court does have the discretion to reduce it to a misdemeanor under California Penal Code section 17(b).
The disturbing aspect of this criminal threats offense is that it is often overused. It is not uncommon for prosecutors to bring this charge when a disturbance starts off with a verbal altercation during which angry words were spoken.
The attorneys at Wing & Parisi have vast experience fighting these charges and as former prosecutors, have insight as to how the government’s attorneys view this charge. If you or a loved one has been charged with this offense, contact the office immediately at (916) 441-4888 for consultation about your case.
Contact criminal attorney in Sacramento
When you have been charged with a crime, choose a criminal attorney in Sacramento with the experience and dedication to make a difference. The Law Office of Wing & Parisi is dedicated to provide exceptional customer service and excellent legal representation for those charged with any type of crime.
Whether it’s your first charge or your second, you need a dedicated and skilled attorney by your side. Contact us online or call at (916) 441-4888 for a free and confidential case consultation, available in Spanish. We appear in state and federal courts in the Sacramento and Davis communities as well as throughout Placer and San Joaquin counties.